I had the opportunity to spend a day at the 2014 International CES® in Las Vegas last week. My primary goal in attending was to gain some insight into future technologies that may have an impact in datacenter environments during the next year or so. Of course, I also found a few moments to take a peek at a few of the newer consumer gadgets.
In my commentary, I discuss the following topics and how some of them will impact datacenters:
- CES Name Change
- The Size and Categories of Exhibits
- UHD (4K) Televisions and Display Sizes
- USB 3.1 (10 Gbps) and USB Power Delivery
- Wireless Power and Competing Standards
- 3D Printing
- Networking — Gigabit WiFi and Linksys
- Small Servers
- Portable Video Cameras
- CES Innovations Awards
- Adopting New Technologies
My commentary, along with some photos, is available here: www.demartek.com/Demartek_CES_2014.html.
Action Item: Once again, some of the technologies used in the consumer marketplace may find their way into enterprise datacenters. IT professionals should be aware of some of these technologies.