While EMC is still best known for its leadership in the storage marketplace, it long ago expanded its portfolio and brand. The acquisition of VMware and subsequent deep integration into virtualization environments accelerated EMC’s growth as part of the biggest trend of the last decade. EMC CEO Joe Tucci calls EMC “the smallest of the big” and Wikibon’s Dave Vellante has predicted EMC/VMware will be the next $100B market cap company in enterprise tech.
As EMC looks forward, the company must be cognizant of the fact that past success with storage and virtualization administrators is no guarantee that new challenges and competitive threats won’t disrupt its market position. To this end, the theme of EMC world is the transformation of three vectors: Technology, business and personal. Specifically, on the last point, EMC is looking to help create the next generation of IT jobs, specifically cloud architects and data scientists as part of the cloud and big data megatrends. A crowd of over 13,000 is expected to descend on Las Vegas next week for EMC World and Greenplum’s Data Science Summit. While EMC promises to roll out tons of new products as part of “Megalaunch II”, the theme of the show is “Transform: IT+Business+Yourself” which speaks to the changing IT workforce.
SiliconAngle is bringing theCUBE to cover these big trends as part of the 2012 Summer Tour and Wikibon will be co-hosting and providing research support for the event. Watch full coverage of EMC World and the Data Science Summit: Monday May 21 – Wednesday May 23, 10am-4pm PT daily on SiliconANGLE.tv. Look to SiliconAngle.com and Wikibon.org for the latest news and analysis from the shows.
Some highlights for the live HD video broadcast:
- A full slate of EMC’s business and technical leadership including Pat Gelsinger, David Goulden, Jeremy Burton, Brian Gallagher, Rich Napolitano, Sanjay Mirchandani
- An exclusive preview (Tuesday) of the Data Science Summit with data scientists and EMC President Bill Cook
- Updates on Flash including the latest on VFCache and the XtremIO acquistion
- Deep dives into the converged infrastructure market including VCE/Vblock, VSPEX and more
- Latest on the backup market including EMC President BJ Jenkins
- Focus on service providers including EMC’s Chuck Hollis
- Real cloud solutions including Brocade and Rackspace
- Virtualizing mission critical environments with CIOs and EMC’s Chad Sakac
- Much more with IT practitioners and the partner ecosystem
Watch “The ESPN of Tech” where SiliconANGLE and Wikibon help extract the signal from the noise and share with you the greatest minds and best content. Did you miss Reggie Jackson at SAP Sapphire 2012? We’ve got more surprises at EMC World and beyond.